Saturday, August 20, 2005

Where did the summer go?

Ok, when I first started this blog, I was committed to writing on a regular basis about my day to day experiences with work and home. So here I am, seven weeks later - what was my summer like?

First, we finished a major kitchen renovation, which meant keeping a 7 year old and 4 year old busy and fed for 3 weeks while the crew knocked down walls and rebuilt our kitchen and half bath. Keeping sane meant running the refrigerator from the living room, covering everything in sight to keep the dust out (didn't work), using paper plates and plastic utensils as well as eating lots of fast food. It also meant sending the kids to day camp for a week, and spending the rest of the time saying "don't touch that bare wire!" and "nail guns are for grownups!" Plus, we were down to one bathroom for the four of us, and you can understand what it's like to finally get in the shower only to have your youngest bang on the door and say "I have to go real bad!!!" You get the picture.

Once we recovered from that project, we went on vacation for a week to Disney Vacation Club at Vero Beach, Florida. Things went surprisingly well, considering this was the first time the four of us shared a hotel room and we weren't running off to the Disney parks or had a babysitter to help us out. Our outbound flight was switched from 8:30 am to 6:00 am, which meant getting up at 3:45 to get to the airport on time. The girls were real troopers (getting upgraded to first class definitely helped - thanks, Delta!) and too excited to sleep much anyway. We spent most of our time at the pool, with one day at the Magic Kingdom, and the girls were great the whole time.

Thing is, going on vacation as a mom is never really relaxing. For example, every time my 4 year old had to go to the bathroom, guess who got to accompany her? It seemed like just as I'd settled down on my chaise to read a magazine and relax, or just as I was about to take a bite of my dinner, I'd hear "Mom ...." Not "Dad ...." (except in a pinch - like when Mom's not there).

There was also the state of our hotel room. Disney Vacation Club provides towel and trash service on the fourth day of your stay, which means by the end of the day three, the room is getting pretty messy. Newspapers, food wrappers, plus multiple versions of coloring pictures were everywhere. I tried to keep things semi-orderly, but by day seven, I could feel the four walls closing in on me.

Of course, my husband, who works very hard the other 51 weeks of the year, says to me on our last day, "Isn't this great? I could stay another 5 days." God bless him - I'd be happy to stay if he managed bathroom duty, too.

So we have ten days left until school starts. We've started adjusting bedtimes, planning back to school shopping, and I've begun looking for a new consulting contract for the school year. Our summer was not as laid back as we would have liked, so we're going to enjoy these last few days as much as we can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home